About Me

My photo
I'm a burlesque dancer out of New Jersey. I perform all up and down the East Coast and this blog will be all about my videos, shoots, and just... random stuff with me!

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Who is the controversial Lily Stitch(es)?

I haven't posted in over a year. This is very true. When I set out to do this blog I was jobless and had all the time in the world... then I picked up my full time muggle job and here we are!

I thought I needed to write a blog post about this.

My dad and I have always been... well... we've had an interesting relationship. When we are close we are super awesome bff close. But when we fight, the world might as well be collapsing around us. Ever since I was young we have never been able to have a sit down discussion without one of us to both of us screaming at each other and fighting (he would usually be the trigger). We have gone up to two months without speaking after a fight (I know, some people go years but months is a long time, too).

Recently an issue came up with him, which lead to me full on outing myself as a burlesque performer to him. He had a vague idea of me, thinking I mostly modeled, I cosplayed, and that's about it. But his lady friend went around saying I was a stripper a couple of months back, and I knew whenever the drama hit the fan in his home it would come up again. I admitted to being a performer, and he said that no matter what he'd be proud of me. Yesterday we had the very first conversation.. in my entire life.. that didn't result in a terrible screaming match and hurt feelings.

Today he stopped by again, and we had a two hour conversation over what I do. He read the two Courier News articles I was in. And expressed his worries, which is fine, he is my dad. His two big "problems" were people judging me, and just my overall safety. He asked me after almost 6 years I never told him. I told him the truth: that I was afraid. We never have actual sit down talks without one of us getting all riled up. And it was just... really nice. It was nice to actually talk. And tell him things. And he saw the articles and I told him stories and he was just so surprised. And told me he was proud of me.

I'm an incredibly lucky person. I have a supportive group around me. My friends, my family. I just... I don't think I could feel better right now. And I just wanted to share it with the world.

Thanks, Dad. For stepping up for me. And just being you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment