About Me

My photo
I'm a burlesque dancer out of New Jersey. I perform all up and down the East Coast and this blog will be all about my videos, shoots, and just... random stuff with me!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Beginning (A Very Good Place To Start!)

It was Summer of 2007. I was 20 years old (21 that September) and avidly participating in a local Rocky Horror Picture Show cast. A large chunk of the cast had created a burlesque troupe for fun for a local Victorian convention known as Salon Con (it can be described as a Steampunk convention before Steampunk was super cool) and it looked just so cool. I saw everyone perform the year prior and it just looked so cool. I wanted, no, needed to do it. I'd heard of burlesque before (on ye olde internets) but I had never seen it before the White Elephant Burlesque Society's show in 2006. Everyone looked so amazing and sexy and everyone was just so talented. So I went to Fae and Viktor and asked if I could do the show at the 2007 show they put on "Burlesque Sucks" (It was a Vampire theme) at the Floating World. They said I could definitely come in and do it with them, and gave me a song. "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails. I knew that song. The heavy beats. The darkness of it. I loved it. I went to work on it immediately. Then raided my closets for everything and anything vinyl, pleather, and Hot Topic-y (I worked at Hot Topic when I was 17, I still had a bunch of overflow). I then went over to Viktor's house to work with him and Fae on my movement. And I needed little correction. I'll never forget how awesome I felt after that first rehearsal, and how excited I was for things to come.

The day of the show I was a huge mess. My mother's wedding was a week away, and I was just too nervous to actually be taking my clothes off in front of complete strangers (though I was doing Rocky Horror for a year prior... HOW IN HELL WAS THIS DIFFERENT?!) I got my hair done that day. And the lady messed it up. It killed me, but I had to push on. I got dressed and then proceeded to tease up my hair and was out the door and on my way! I put on my vampire teeth in the car, and a ridiculous pair of cat eye contact lenses to match.

Lily Stitches the Goth Child was born.

I was terrified. But I think it is safe to say that I rocked it. If I didn't... don't burst my bubble. It was my first time! The following events that evening I'd prefer to forget about... but the show itself went incredibly smooth, and thus... I had dipped my toes into something that I never thought I'd be doing five years in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment